since our Fraser Island trip during the last holidays I have an issue with my car not charging the battery anymore. Symptoms as follows:
- Battery lost it's charge quickly, car stopped after having the front lights on
- checked the voltage gauge in the dashboard, as long as I rev the engine (2500-3000 RPM) the needle goes up. If it's idling the needle goes down towards 10 volts and then the car shuts off.
- checked the charging voltage with a friend and his multimeter while car was running. Again, it goes up to 13 volts when I rev the car but goes down quickly when the engine is just idling. Turning the front lights on will drain so much power that the car will shut off.
- checked it with a brand new battery and the same thing happens
What I noticed: I checked the battery right after Fraser for it's water level. Water was right up to the level. I checked again after a week when we tested the voltage with a multimeter and I realised that all the cells were completely dry.
I topped the battery up with distilled water but I am not to sure if this will revive it.
What do you guys think? Alternator, Regulator and Battery? Did Murphy's Law get my by the balls? :/